This website often reviews products and receives compensation from the retailers of the products it reviews.

This blog uses affiliate programs for monetization, which means when you click on links to various sites that I recommend in my posts and make a purchase, this can result in a commission that is credited to this site.

follow Twitter follow Pinterest follow G+ subscribe subscribe

Thursday, March 7, 2013

TT-Cleaning your cricut mat

TT-Cleaning your cricut mat

I love my cricut however the mats become messy fast. I am sure I am using the wrong depth for the blade since my mats are severely marked and I barely use it. That's a whole other subject. 


Some papers stick really good to the mat. It can leave behind fibers especially when cutting intricate designs. I searched the web and you-tube for some tips. The number one thing everyone stated, there are a lot of tutorials out there. It really depends on you which works best. You need patience and elbow grease. Give it a try first before buying a replacement set. You may find it's worth the effort to clean and restick the mat than buy a new set. If you don't use it often, a replacement set might be your best bet. I have had the cricut for over a year now. I am on my 5th mat. I have used it for two large projects (Birthday parties) and two smaller crafts. This will be my 2nd time removing the tacky glue and  reapplying.

I tried the hot water and soap method with a kitchen scrubber. A lot of the residue was sticking to the back and sides of the mat. I would have to replace the scrubber too. Glue doesn't come off easy.

Today I tried coconut oil. I know I use it for everything right? Well it works! Not only did it remove the dirt, it made it easier to scrap the glue with the tool above-putty knife. I have to say this is my favorite method. Just apply a thin layer and allow it to sit for a few minutes. Wipe off with a baby wipe and then scrap. You may have to apply more than once. 

I have used store brand and name brand tacky glue. The craft store brand was thinner and less tacky. Aleene's Tack it is thick and very sticky. Just apply a thin layer with a sponge brush and allow to dry. Thicker the layer, the longer the wait. You will need to lightly rub a t-shirt over the mat once it dries.  I just ordered EK Success Zig Carded Jumbo Tip 2-Way Glue for my 3rd mat and other projects.  As you can see the prices for the glue and mat are so close.

TT-Cleaning your cricut mat


Keep your mats clean by properly storing them with the plastic cover supplied. You can use a lint roller to remove pet fur, paper fibers etc. Stick a piece of gift wrapping tape on the seam of the lint brush roller to keep it from sticking to the mat.

Do you have any tips?

Amazon Deals for Mats:

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...