Sunday, April 14, 2013

Party backdrop

Party backdrop on a Budget


Framing your party space is essential for a cohesive look. Adding a backdrop can be a challenge if you do not have an empty wall to create the desired look. How do you accomplish this with a fully furnished room without moving furniture and while on a tight budget?



http://www.etsy.com/listing/109150502/jungle-party-backdrop?ref=sr_gallery_41&ga_search_query=jungle+party&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=4&ga_search_type=all

Purchasing a backdrop cloth-This can be expensive. Many are fairly narrow and do not cover average sized furniture like a kitchen hutch or dining room china closet.


http://lifeinthethriftylane.blogspot.com/2012/08/pvc-backdrop-tutorial.html?m=1



PVC piping- I thought this idea was one of the most creatives and time consuming. There is also the dilemma of where do you store the pipes afterwards? I still struggle on storing holiday decorations.










My thrifty solution involves ink pads, brown packaging paper, tape or mod podge, stamps (optional) and sponge applicators (make up wedges). Cost $5 the least.


Party backdrop on a Budget

Card marking is another hobby of mine and I had several inks & various stamps on hand. You can find cheaper quality (sometimes I find these work better) stamps and pads at Walmart or the Dollar store. This project can be done by ANYONE. You do not have to be an artist to create a simple blended background. 

First I laid the glass panels onto the packaging paper. I collected pieces from several *ahem* Amazon packages. I simply cut the paper 1/2 inch larger than the glass. I applied Mod Podge to the glass and laid the paper on top. The glass on the right I did last minute since we had to replace the kitchen ceiling. I glued the excess trim to the backside. I used Mod Podge because it creates a temporary bond that cleans easily with water. The paper is more delicate to smooth. You may wish to skip this step. I also wanted a barrier in case the ink bled through the paper.

Next round up your ink pads and sponges. Start with your darkest color first and then blend the additional colors. I used light and dark blue, honey(orange yellow), olive and dark green. 

After the ink dried I used a stamp repeatedly to create the grass. I used three shades of green for depth. *This is an optional step. It's best to let the Mod Podge dry overnight or at least 3 hours in low humidity. I added the brown paper to the first panel before bedtime and sponged the next day. Sponging took 15 minutes top. It's so simple a toddler can do this. 

You could ink then tape to a panel but you run the risk of smearing the ink. Some don't dry completely.

Party backdrop on a Budget


I have to admit I still haven't taken this down. It's like looking at a sunset at dinner.


Party backdrop on a Budget

I don't think I could have spent the day staring at our collection of mugs inside the hutch. I am sure many wouldn't have noticed but it would have been an eye sore...more so than the unpainted wall with swatches everywhere but at least those blended with the color scheme.


My Button


Jungle Theme Party Posts





No comments:

Post a Comment