Monday, December 2, 2013

Cupcake Ornament


Are you looking to update your Christmas Tree balls? Maybe give a set as a gift.

 

I had such a fun time making these as gifts last year. I discovered the cupcake ornament. Isn't it cute! There are several ways you can add the frosting. There are tips on you-tube on how to create a fake cupcake with foam material called gaps and cracks.

I bought a 6 pack of frosted glass ornaments from the craft store. I followed a video on you tube to paint the icing on the ball. You can view the video below. I did add some fake snow I had purchased many years ago at Kohl's. I used it as a glass filler however it's super messy and I didn't use it for many years later. If you find the paint isn't holding your glitter or fake snow just apply a layer of Mod Podge. Don't apply it too thick or the toppings will slide.

Hot glue doesn't last as long as Fusion clear glue. You do have to hold the "cherry" in place while it sets so be prepared not to move for at least 10-20 mins. Also try to use foil wrappers instead of paper. The foil will hold it's shape while the paper will spread out even with glue.


The 4 other balls I used clear embossing ink and powder with some stamps. I was experimenting with my new powder and ink and honestly didn't know it worked on glass. I loved how it removed the frosted look. Almost as if I frosted after the wording was added. I also used some ink pads to color the balls. Some did bleed and others dried permanently. Unfortunately I didn't take note of which ink stayed.

You can buy the clear ones and add mod podge with glitter or glitter paint. I haven't tried the wood polish trick. If it's not a green cleaning product, then I won't use it ;-)



This blog uses affiliate programs for monetization, which means when you click on links to various sites that I recommend in my posts and make a purchase, this can result in a commission that is credited to this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment