I have a soft spot for muffins. My son needs more fruit and kids can't resist muffins. Below is a recipe I tweaked and absolutely love. Coconut oil is great for baking and cooking. Just replace with whatever oil is in the recipe. I found coconut oil tastes great with oatmeal. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup hot tap water
- 1 & 1/4 brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup White flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (easiest to melt for measuring. This will harden when mixed with cold ingredients)
- 1 cup wheat bran (or flaxseed or chia seeds)
- 2 bags of fruit/yogurt smoothie mix. (1 bag is 8oz) I warmed the mixture in the microwave for a few seconds.
*OPTIONAL Few chocolate chips (fool the toddler)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda baking powder, and salt.
In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, smoothie mix, eggs, vanilla, oil and bran. Add in oatmeal and dry ingredients.
I mashed the fruit (raspberries, blueberries & strawberries) with a potato masher for my picky toddler.