Sunday, August 19, 2012

Frugal gardening

Extracting seeds from flowers

Did you know you can harvest seeds from your current flowers and plant them next year? How about that for a money saving tip for a frugal garden. This site here shows you step by step with photos on how to extract marigold seeds.

 

Marigolds love water when potted. The leaves will droop when they are thirsty. These will spread vigorously in the ground. They bloom best when you dead head the flowers. Marigolds are considered companion plants that keep insects away. 


 

What seeds will you extract? Here are a few of my favorite from our current garden.

 <*>

    Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine

wm Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine


<*>

Barbarini Purple Dianthus 

 

<*>

Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun' 

wm Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun'

<*>

Coreopsis Jethro Tull

wm Coreopsis Jethro Tull

 <*>

Osteospermum sp?


 

2 comments:

  1. You just reminded me of my childhood! I love all these flowers and was growing among a huge variety of them! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! I am saving this post since I am hoping to start a garden next year :)

    ReplyDelete