Saturday, April 20, 2013

Spring & plants

I am super excited for summer. The last 2 weekends we have been purchasing and planting our new herbs, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and plants.





This was taken last summer. I decided to remove the gorgeous Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun' after a bumble bee took offense to me constantly walking on the path. They only sting when they feel threatened. It's a sting I will always remember. Thanks to that one bumble bee my choice of flowers/herbs repel bugs instead of inviting them.

The Gaillardia have been replaced with Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium) and Lemongrass. A mix of mint and citrus scented perennials that repel mosquitoes & bees.  The cats much prefer a shaded area and won't be relaxing there. I think they know these are plants that can harm them. They took one sniff and walked away quickly. They will enjoy two catmint plants in their shaded area.









Monarda Pink Supreme (didn't bloom 2012 but twice it's size), Salvia Rose Queen, Coreopsis Jethro Tull, Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine, Baptisia australis & Achillea Millefolium are regrowing.









Barbarini Purple Dianthus & Geum 'Alabama Slammer' ready to bloom shortly. Geum was just vegetation last year. I am excited to see the buds ready to open soon. I couldn't over 20 buds.





Phlox Subulata Purple Beauty is almost in full bloom.

The one side of Dusty Millers survived the winter. The right side is regrowing from the roots.

Lavandula Hidcote has new growth and was cut back.

Penstemon digitalis ‘Mystica’ (awesome purple/green leaves) & Heuchera Frosted Violet Coral Bell are much taller than last year. Their leaves are just beautiful. The delicate flowers will come later in the season.

 






We didn't plant today's plants since it will dip to the 30's tonight.

  • 2 Geranium 'Citronella' Scented. These are annuals that will be potted. One will be near the deck and the other by the grills.
  • 5 Coleus' in two colors for behind the grills. They will add a splash of color in green and red.
  • 2 Catmints for the cats and to repel mosquitoes
  • 4 Patchouli plants also annuals. I am obsessed with the essential and am sure to enjoy their scent not to mention they repel biting insects
  • Sage is a new addition. Would you believe this repels bugs too. My mother in law has a lovely on in her back yard that I admired last year.
  • Chives which we had for a few years and it parted after it flowered last year. Did you know the flowers are edible? They have a super strong flavor. These repel aphids.
  • 2 Catmints that these cats will love! I might attract a few strays though.


I can't wait to share this year's garden photos here! I tend to take A LOT of photos ;-)
Don't forget to check out my Tips/Trick Thursday post on Plants that repel bugs.


What are you planting?


No comments:

Post a Comment